Make an appointment at our Healthy Steps Clinic in St. Petersburg to see our pediatric obesity specialist team. Virtual appointments are coming soon.
Visit Florida’s leading clinic for pediatric obesity
Healthy Steps is a clinic that specializes in treating toddlers, children, and adolescents, up to 21 years of age, with weight issues including rapid weight gain and unhealthy weight.
We offer an individualized, evidence-based team approach to the assessment and treatment of weight problems. Families will meet with a registered dietitian, psychologist, and an obesity medicine-certified general pediatrician to address all areas impacting weight.
When providers and families collaborate, they can create healthy lifestyles, one healthy step at a time.
Who is eligible for the Healthy Steps Clinic?
Any patient with the following criteria is eligible for clinic:
- Children and young adults aged 0-21 with rapid weight gain or unhealthy weight
- Families motivated to make lifestyle changes
- Insurance eligibility can be determined by calling our office
What services do we provide for patients?
- A full medical assessment by an obesity medicine-certified general pediatrician including a bio-impedance measurement to accurately identify obesity risk
- Nutritional assessment by registered dietitians who provide tailored nutritional goals specific to the patient and family
- Behavioral health assessment by a psychologist to assess patient or parental concerns related to mood, self-image, school performance or other
- Families receive tailored lifestyle goals, necessary laboratory evaluation and/or additional specialist referrals when needed
What should I expect in my first visit to Healthy Steps?
Our goal is to get to know your child and family and provide goals that make sense to you.
Topics discussed include:
- Addressing and treating any weight-related health concerns
- Optimizing snack, meal and beverage choices
- Activity preferences and patterns
- Family routines
- Sleep routine
- Concerns or issues related to behavior, mood or self-esteem
Most Healthy Steps patients should expect to visit clinic at least once per month for at least 6-12 months to achieve improvements in overall health, body composition and lifestyle. To be most successful, patients and families should expect to commit about two hours for their first visits to allow our team the best opportunity to understand your child and family’s unique needs. Following visits will focus on addressing any weight-related health issues, developing a tailored lifestyle management plan for your child and your family as well as developing goals at each visit. During all visits, families will work with a dietitian, psychologist and an obesity-medicine certified physician to continue progressing towards identified goals. Often, lab work may be needed on initial and follow-up visits.
The following table reflects some examples of what each Healthy Steps visit in our clinic might include. (may not generalizable to all patients).
Download: What to Expect When You Visit